One more thing I found at her house ~ a little picture frame True & I made when he was 3. We just took one of those cheap cardboard frames from Hallmark with the plastic for glass & covered it. These can cost as little as .25 cents if you get ones after a holiday. They're also a good way of recycling fabric because they are so small. I'm thinking it would be cute to make a few out of kids clothes to match their pictures! (If only I could somehow bottle up their smell & the feel of their hugs.)
We make these often, 'cause their cheap but classy little "prizes" to give to loved ones. I think they look lovely. It comes together in about 15 minutes, more with "help." It should be allowed to dry overnight.
Mod Podge - matte, or white glue
Thin decorative paper like rice paper or wrapping paper. (I sometimes will use paper napkins!)
* Remove plastic & set aside.
* Carefully rip front & back stand from the base.
* Take the fabric & lay it right-side down on your work surface. Lay frame on it, right side down & trace opening + around the sides. Now draw an additional line 1/4" around the outside & within opening outline. These will be your cut lines.
* Cut along those 2 new lines. To make it form to the frame, you'll need to make a few darts. At each corner of the frame, cut a little square by cutting from the outside edges into the corner. Inside of the frame opening, make a series of small cuts from the cut line to frame outline all the way around.
* Cover the frame front with glue & press onto fabric. Apply glue to inside & outer edges. Fold extra fabric onto the back.
* Place paper right side down. Cover the back of frame base with glue & press onto paper. Smooth it out with your fingers. Cut off excess paper, leaving 1/4" all around. Glue edges base front & fold excess paper onto edge.
* Repeat with stand. Let dry.
* Place frame base onto work surface, right-side up. Place the frame front right-side down. Apply glue to sides & bottom of the opening. Be careful not to glue the top, where you'll slip in your photo. Turn it over onto base & press with finger to attach.
* Turn it all over & glue top tab of stand onto back of frame.